Thursday 17 May 2018

Screenplay

FADE IN:

INT. STUDY - DAY

The RUN-DOWN study consists of a PIANO, accompanied with several BEER CANS and WRAPPERS littered throughout. A MAN is SAT at the PIANO. He wears the remnants of a presentable shirt, now stained and crinkled. He seems to be lost in his thoughts: daydreaming, before straightening some papers and RAISING his hands to the KEYS.

He plays only ONE NOTE before his DOOR SWINGS open, revealing a YOUNGER GIRL. She STROLLS in to stand expectantly by the Man.

MAN
(Bothered)
You’re early again.

GIRL
(Unfazed)
Just goes to show I love your lessons, don’t it?

MAN
(Preparing to play once more)
I don’t care.

He LAUNCHES off into a song, engrossed in the music. The girl watches for a while, before she sits by the Man, PLODDING her fingers onto the BOTTOM KEYS out of boredom. The Man STOPS with a TIRED SIGH. He seems like he could be considering hitting her. Deciding against it, he STANDS, while the girl SHUFFLES UP. She GLANCES UP at him, with a FLIRTATIOUS, HALF-SMILE on her face.

GIRL
What do you want me to play? I’ve been working on my chords so if you-

MAN
(Tired sigh)
How about you just play Old McDonald for me again?

The Girl is clearly bothered by this, and so she SETTLES HER HANDS on the keys - the wrong keys.

MAN
(Annoyed)
I said play Old McDonald.

The Girl smirks, IGNORING him. CHECKING her hand position one last time, she PRESSES DOWN on the first note, and is surprised when no sound comes out. Shocked, she GLANCES up at him, and neither of them say a word. An awkward silence begins.

MAN
(Breaking the silence)
You’re not gonna play what I asked?

She LOOKS DOWNWARD in thought, though this is too long for the Man, and so he speaks a FEW SECONDS after his last speech.

MAN
Get out.

GIRL
(Defiantly)
Go screw yourself.

A STARE-OFF commences, with NEITHER SIDE seeming to back down until we…

CUT TO:

EXT. MAN’S HOUSE – STILL DAY

In CONTRAST to his study, the Man seems to live in a nice, maybe even wealthy neighbourhood. It is CLEAN, KEPT UP, and SEEMINGLY PRIVATE, as there is no one else around. Our two characters are standing, STILL SILENT, but it is clear who won their stand off. Their overall look makes them STAND OUT from their surroundings, and both look as if they don’t belong there.

GIRL
Bit of an overreaction, making me leave.

MAN
(Seething)
Listen here you little fuck, you know how much I charge for these lessons, and you know I tried to make an exception for you. If you disrespect me again, you’re out. No argument.

GIRL
(Cool as a cucumber)
Not my fault you won’t let me play at my level ain’t it?

MAN
Lesson’s over, I’ll see you next week.

ANOTHER STARE-OFF: neither participant moving. The Girl, unflinching, while the Man’s eyes visibly soften, until he says…

MAN
(Defeated)
One more chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment